Lazblog

Your source for the humorous commentary, clever poetry, curious thoughts, dumb jokes and inane ramblings of Adam Lazarus.

Monday, November 05, 2007

Halloween 2007

All,

Hope you had a great Halloween! With any luck all your houses were egg free, your costumes were original and your candy was razor blade free! And hopefully no one gave you pennies or apples or other lame treats – it’s about the candy people!

Logan had a GREAT Halloween – we all did! We went pumpkin picking, went to a very fun Halloween party (thanks Lebers!) and went trick or treating for the very first time! What a wonderful and surreal experience that was – taking your own child trick or treating for the first time is very, very cool. “Inspecting” a.k.a eating) all his candy was also very cool…and very delicious!

The images below are from October, sorry there are so many. Hope you all had a great time with your family and friends and we’ll see most of you soon for Thanksgiving.

Pumpkin Picking


Pumpkin picking was pretty pleasurable! We went out to a pasture, picked our own perfect, personal pumpkin and purchased it promptly! (That was a lot of P’s in that sentence so I apologize profusely.) Logan had a great time…for like 10 minutes. After that he wanted a juice box and some shade, but we still had fun that day.


This is Logan actually selecting the perfect pumpkin! He spent a lot of time searching for just the right one. Not too tall, not too fat and not too covered in the weird wild fungus that made the pumpkins “more orange” but also made them smell like a chemical toilet. It took some time but he eventually found the perfect pumpkin. Then he pointed and Emily and I picked. We made quite the pumpkin picking party!


You know, I had never seen a wild pumpkin before; I’d only seen domesticated pumpkins in the store so seeing pumpkins in their natural habitat was a treat! The first photo is of me wrestling a wild pumpkin to the ground. Most don’t know that pumpkins running free in the wild tend to be very shifty and rather aggressive. But once you corral one, extracting the untamed pumpkin from the dirt isn’t too difficult. The secret to outsmarting and capturing a wild pumpkin? Loppers! Big, sharp scissors that even out the playing field and make the pumpkins know who the boss is!


Logan loved riding in the wheelbarrow more then pumpkin picking, but who doesn’t love riding in wheelbarrows? I rode in a few wheelbarrows just this past weekend just because I love it so much! So? He also seemed to enjoy touching all the pumpkins, squashes and zucchinis. Why I don’t know, he’s just got a thing for gourds I guess.

The last photo is of the Lazari family sitting on a huge pumpkin in the middle of a dusty field somewhere in rural Arizona. See how happy we look? What you don’t see is the thorny stem of the gigantic pumpkin jabbing into my back causing extreme lumbar discomfort and temporary loss of vision – guess those wild pumpkins did get their revenge after all!


A boy and his pumpkin! Or as Logan called it, his pum-pa.

Halloween 2007


Logan dressed up this Halloween as an octopus. Can’t you tell? Look at the pure, unadulterated joy in this kid’s face from being dressed like this. Hellooooooo therapy sessions!


Logan was an octopus and Emily and I were deep sea fishermen. Do you see the connection? Me neither. Anyway, no “fat” comments about me being pregnant in this photo or eating too many candy corns either…this picture makes me look very fat, I get it. But yellow is a fattening color on me not to mention the heavy rubber suit that added a few, or 30, pounds to my gut. I look like I ate the Gorton’s Fisherman! But it’s an optical illusion not fat whaler-looking Adam, I promise.


Isn’t he just the cutest little cephalopod you’ve ever seen? I think he’s eight times cuter then normal! Especially with his pants rolled up like LL Cool J or something. He’s a hip-hop-ock!


These photos are from Logan actually trick or treating. Riding in his wagon from house to house (with the help of his good friend Charlotte), walking up to the door with mommy to get some candy, then walking back to the wagon after a successful outing. Quite honestly, Logan couldn’t care less about the candy OR the costume OR the fact that it was Halloween – he was just thrilled that he got to knock on peoples’ doors and say “hi, hi, hi” and wave to everyone who came to the door. He’s very polite but completely disinterested in this holiday.

So that was our Halloween! Hope you liked it. I learned a lot this past month. I learned that wild pumpkins, like stallions, can not be tamed easily. I learned that all that matters to a 20 month old on Halloween is getting to ride in a wagon and playing with a flashlight. I learned that houses who put a bowl of candy out front with a sign that says “please take only one” make a huge mistake when I’m around (please take one whole BOWL maybe!). I learned that an infant in a warm, full body costume made of velour in 90 degree Arizona evenings with a diaper full of candy based diarrhea is NOT a treat at all, it’s a mean trick to play on daddy. And most importantly, I learned that I look morbidly obese in thick yellow rubber suits.

Have a great November and I’ll email you soon with more photos from Logan’s world!

1 Comments:

  • At 5:26 PM, Blogger Macey said…

    Hey guys-I don't know if you are still in the bloggy world, but if you are, send me your email so I can invite you to see mine...we've had fun playing with you Logan :) couponmacey@comcast.net

     

Post a Comment

<< Home